Friday, August 24, 2007

1993

There's a sweet lightning storm zapping the skies right now. I kinda wish you could see it.


New feature: 5 Songs/1 Year.
The year is random, the songs are not.

1993
I've enjoyed most of the music from this year after-the-fact; I was too busy at this time discovering the 1960s to pay attention to bands like Nirvana and Radiohead. I didn't know what Pearl Jam's Ten was until five years later. But eventually I caught up with grunge, and now the early-to-mid 1990s are one of my favorite rock 'n' roll eras.
Highlights, in alphabetical order--

Afghan Whigs - If I Were Going
This is the opening track to Gentlemen, released in October. It sounds like an introductory song, too. Modern towers don't tip over because their centers of gravity are far below ground. In the same manner, "If I Were Going" acts as Gentlemen's center of gravity, a foundation supporting an apex that appears later in the album. It's sort of a tease to listen to it without the support of the other songs, but I like it anyway.

The Breeders - Cannonball
File under "Oh yeah! I remember that song."

Jawbreaker - Do You Still Hate Me
An influencial raspy-voiced San Francisco punk rock band, this is a particularly emo (ligitimate term used in a ligitimate context) song. Blake Schwarzenbach went on to form and break up Jets to Brazil after Jawbreaker called it quits in 1996.

New Order - Regret
I love how New Order remains musically consistent without becoming stale. I also love how catchy this chorus is.

Starflyer59 - Happy Days Are Here Again
In 1993 Brandon Ebel started a record label called Tooth & Nail. Starflyer59 was one of the first bands signed to the label after Jason Martin gave Ebel the band's demo. That same year they recorded Silver, and Starflyer59 has been making amazing music ever since.