Thursday, January 31, 2008

il Buono, il Brutto, il AlbumArto: Peter Gabriel

il Buono, il Brutto, il AlbumArto
Take a band. Take its album cover highlights. Take its album cover lowlights. Swish it all around in your mouth. Comment.

PETER GABRIEL

[Click for bigger]
This is the cover to Peter Gabriel's second album, released in 1978. It doesn't have a title because his first three albums don't have titles. Something about treating his records like issues of a magazine. Anyway, people either call this one "Peter Gabriel's second album", or, more simply "Scratch". I like this one because he looks pissed. He's so pissed that he's tearing the fabric of space and time with his fingernails. I think it's doubly cool that his palms are faced towards him, which places this shredded plane somewhere between his hands and his body. I don't know. It's a simple picture, but it's blowing my mind.

[Click for bigger]
This is the cover to Gabriel's Secret World Live live (duh) album, released in 1994. To me it just looks like outerspace Communist AT&T propaganda. A double-disc release (I don't even know if this is available on vinyl), I'd be interested in seeing the rest of the packaging. That is, unless it's full of angry red telephones.







[Click for bigger]
Once Gabriel decided to name his albums, he kept the titles short and succinct, like So, Up, and Hit. Here we have Us, released in 1992. I was about to toss this cover into the Stupid File (ample fuzziness, baggy pants, lunging Pete) until I realized that the big white blotch has a face on it. Holy smokes (literally), it's a full body apparition! And Gabriel is either conjuring her from the depths of wherever, or he's playing Ghostbusters with his bare hands. Regardless, it's the best image of a ghost, fake or otherwise, I've ever seen used on a commercial product.