Friday, January 30, 2009

il Buono, il Brutto, il AlbumArto: Tim Buckley

il Buono, il Brutto, il AlbumArto.
Take a band. Take its album cover highlights. Take its album cover lowlights.
Swish it all around in your mouth. Comment.


Tim Buckley

I must be a sucker for live images because once again I prefer an in-action photograph of the performer over any of the posed shots. This is the cover to The Copenhagen Tapes, a live recording from a 1968 performance in Denmark. I like how Buckley's black shirt camouflages him with the black background, and the only thing you can really see clearly is his head cocked to the side as croons one of his soul-stirring love songs (or one of his manic jazz-edelic pieces). There's some emotion being presented here, and I like my album covers to emote.



This is the cover to Buckley's final studio album, 1974's Look at the Fool. It'd be too easy to make a comment regarding the album title, so I'll instead direct my jabs at the artwork itself. Cal Schenkel, who did a lot of awesomely weird art design for the Mothers of Invention, is credited with the art direction here. I don't know if that means he painted the picture himself or commissioned a freelance artist who showcases all of his work at his uncle's Wyoming trading post. I like to think this is part of a larger picture with wolves howling at the moon, maybe a couple deer grazing in a nearby field, and it's all printed on some grandmother's sweater.

From Buckley's final album to his very first, take a look at his self-titled debut, released in 1966 when he was only 19-years-old. I imagine he sent the same image to a number of local fashion agencies. I like that wall for some reason, probably because it appears incompletely painted. In fact, if that's fresh paint then the young Buckley has just ruined the back of his turtle neck. He is a handsome figure standing there (a somewhat awkward figure as well), but is that garish tweed jacket eating him? What's going on here?